How it began an extract from an article written by Bob Eady
On 17th July 1879 the vicar, the Revd. Onebye Walker, invited the Churchwardens and some villagers to meet with the Archdeacon in the vestry to consider the condition of the Churchyard.
A committee was formed to consider the matter. At a committee meeting held on 31st October 1879 a committee report offered two suggestions:
1. The Churchyard should be enlarged
2. A further meeting to be held inviting the ratepayers of the parish to consider establishing a new burial ground
The first suggestion was not felt to be a permanent solution since the Churchyard had already been considerably enlarged in 1850 and was now full. On 3rd February 1881 a Vestry meeting was held 'to take into consideration any proposition or information which the Churchwardens and overseers may have in their power with respect to the closing of the Churchyard and acquisition of a new burial ground for the Parish.'
This and a further meeting held on 3rd March resulted in a decision that a new Burial Ground be provided for the Parish of Moulton under the Burials Act and also resolved that a Burial Board be appointed consisting of 5 ratepayers. Those elected were Messrs. J Siddons, S Howes, S Adams, CH Cox and Chas. Tanner.
The newly elected Board was required to formulate a table of fees for burial. Copies of these were exhibited for one week in all places of worship in the village and were finally sanctioned by a meeting of the Vestry on 3rd January 1882. The first burial was on 21st January 1882.
Moulton Cemetery Today
During the past few years, many improvements have taken place to make the cemetery the beautiful, tranquil space it is today. The internal hedges have been reduced and the lime trees pollarded to improve the light. Block paving has been laid, new entrance gates hung and the old garage removed to provide better access for all. A Scattered Ashes Area has been built in the oldest part of the cemetery to accommodate requests.
The most significant advance is the complete computerisation of every burial, plot purchase and memorial to form a comprehensive database and cemetery plan. This was a six year project and the original burial books will now be stored at the Northamptonshire Record Office for safe keeping.
The cemetery plans are to be transferred to a series of noticeboards, alongside a map of the cemetery to enable friends and relatives to locate the grave of their loved ones. These will be erected on the side of the store shortly. We now have an excellent resource for family historians looking for their ancestors, as well as accurate burial records.
We must thank John Linnell, who has taken care of our cemetery since February 2009. John's care, dedication and sheer hard work is remarkable and anyone who visits the cemetery can see the results of his efforts.
If you would like further information on purchasing a plot in the cemetery or would like to trace an ancestor, please contact the parish office on 642202 or email your query to firstname.lastname@example.org